Inspiring Wit’s guide to where to eat, sleep, shop and shoot in Perth
Many an overseas visitor finds their way to Australia at one time or another (despite the lengthy plane ride), but while the traditional tourist route may have been along the East Coast – Western Australia is fast becoming a go-to destination for both locals and international venturers. Home to hot spots such as Margaret River, Broome, and The Kimberley, it’s not just nature that is proving a selling point for the state – with the gateway to it all, Perth, becoming a must-visit haven in its own right.
To find out a bit more about this city on the up, we turned to local – Inspiring Wit’s style influencer and blogger Jenelle Witty – to talk us through some of Perth’s highlights. “Since I moved here a number of years ago, it’s [Perth] built itself up to be a buzzing spot that while isolated, can hold its own for food, boutique hotels, shopping, and of course, the beaches,” reveals Jenelle.
“Stay to shop, wander historic Fremantle, soak up the sun, day trip over to Rottnest Island for a Quokka selfie, hop from coffee hot-spot to coffee hot-spot, and finish the day with one of the epic over-the-ocean sunsets the West Coast is known for.” Sounds pretty damn perfect to us.
To find out some more of the specifics, here Jenelle talks us through her picks of where to eat, stay, shop, and snap a good Insta shot while in Perth.
5 PLACES TO EAT:
Breakfast/ Lunch/ Coffee
– Mary St Bakery: The OG, or at least, my OG. It’s the place we have visited most often since it opened just shy of six years ago. The best hearty baked goods, tasty dishes and excellent coffee in town. It’s no fuss and Perth loves them for it. Now open across Perth in multiple locations, serving up the goods. Don’t skip the donuts!
– Someday: Pink terrazzo tables, perfect coffee, vegan dishes and delicious healthy breakfast + lunch options somewhere between the city and the beach. Now has a cute mid-century inspired outdoor area for sunny days.
– Satchmo: Tucked away in North Perth is this cute ‘soul food joint’ that combines the owner mother & son team’s love of New Orleans cuisine and music while honouring the families Jewish roots. Listen to jazz & blues tunes (sometimes live) while enjoying goods like bagels, matzo ball soup, knish, Louisiana Gumbo, black & white cookies, babka and more.
– Ooh Coffee: Just celebrated their 2nd anniversary, this bright, white washed hole in the wall just over the bridge in North Fremantle is known for coffee, baked goods and quick eats.
– Blink Coffee Fremantle: Blink and you might miss it, but you aren’t likely to miss the endless lines out the door as locals queue for takeaway coffees. The best flat whites in the (highly competitive) area.
Lunch or Dinner
– Odyssea: With beach views, lots of space inside or out on the deck, tons of parking, Odyssea serve up creative, healthy and delicious meals all day and night. Book in for sunset!
– The Standard: One of my faves! Okay, these all are. Recent winner of the No. 1 spot on Rob Broadfield’s top 20 list in The West Australian for their shredded duck salad dish, everything here is tasty. Creative, Asian inspired dishes served up with a big open area in the heart of Northbridge. Bring friends, lots of them.
– The Hummus Club: A cool, tasty dinner spot in Northbridge serving Mod Middle Eastern feasts that were tried and tested first with their crazy popular food truck before they opened a bricks and mortar.
– Propeller: Just across from Ooh Coffee, Propeller in North Freo is a chic modern Middle Eastern spot for lunch or dinner with an excellent wine list.
– The Beach Club: Fresh, tasty and bright, this is always a popular spot to enjoy the sunny days by the beach in Cottesloe.
5 PLACES TO STAY:
– Westin Perth: Luxury has a new address, as the highly anticipated Westin Perth settles into its second year. Boasting a rooftop pool, incredible city views, stunning design and furnishings, perfect high tea, an award winning restaurant, Bodhi J spa, this is THE spot to unwind in the CBD in luxury.
– Alex Hotel: The Northbridge boutique hotel offers chilled communal lounge spaces, chic rooms and a perfect rooftop to enjoy the sunset.
– QT Perth: New to the CBD, the quirky QT Hotels are known for going the extra mile. Located right on the corner of the retail malls, walking distance to either Elizabeth Quay or Northbridge, it is a fun stay with a popular rooftop bar.
– Amaroo Retreat: Get away from it all to the Perth hills! A short 35 minute drive from the CBD takes you to the award-winning peaceful retreat Amaroo. With individual suites that face onto bushland you are more likely to spot kangaroos while enjoying the views from the spa than people.
– Tradewinds Hotel: Fremantle’s answer to the Palm Springs hotels that Instagrammers love, Tradewinds is a modern renovated hotel that you won’t want to leave. There’s a large pool, massive deck and elegant modern rooms.
5 PLACES TO SHOP:
– Generics: One of my favourite Perth stores has to be Generics. Loaded with clean beauty and skincare goods, handmade vegan products, plus fashion and accessories from local designers. There are now three stores across Perth, Generics have introduced some iconic brands from the international cult beauty wellness communities to Perth.
– Ooh La La Store: Located next to Ooh La La coffee in North Freo, this bright boutique is home to the cooler-than-cool ‘it’ brands that those in the know wear such as Lucy Folk, Baum & Pferdgarten, Mara Hoffman, mih jeans, Mother, Rachel Comey, Simon Miller, Valet Studio, Maryam Nassir Zadeh and more.
– King Street: The destination for luxury boutiques – find Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Miu Miu, Tiffany & Co, Kailis and more.
– Claremont: International and Australian brands all seem to be opening up boutiques in the area, it’s a one stop spot for fashion & beauty lovers. Find Cos, Adam Heath Boutique, Chanel Beauty, Mecca Cosmetica, Alice McCall, Camilla & Marc, Manning Cartell, Zimmermann, David Jones, Jac + Jack and more.
– Sue Lewis Chocolate: The best handmade chocolates in town. These are next level good! Sue Lewis is like a rock star for chocolate.
5 PLACES TO DO AN INSTAGRAM SHOOT:
– King Street: Not only is it full of luxury international boutiques, King Street is a single lane street with beautiful architecture. You will notice the handful of Perth fashion bloggers shoot their outfit photos up and down this street.
– Como Treasury: The incredibly stunning restored heritage building is home to the Como Treasury hotel and many other hot spots for food. It is another hot spot for photo taking (let’s just say I’ve shot outfit photos in front of almost every inch of its exterior!).
– Cottesloe Beach: Want beach vibes with a heritage tea house in the background? This spot is iconic, both for happy snaps and drone users. Arguably the best swimming spot along the coast too!
– Rottnest Island: Known for the famous Quokka selfie (the happiest animals on earth), the short ferry ride across to the island is also worth it for the stunning crystal clear water beaches and bike rides.
– Fremantle: Take your pick, there’s the harbour, streets and streets of beautiful heritage buildings, beaches, the famous Fremantle Markets or even the ferris wheel. I could go on…
– BONUS PICKS: Kings Park Lookout + Elizabeth Quay: Equally for city skyline views, sunrises, sunsets and gardens.