From the tropical beaches of Cairns to the frozen forests of Banff National Park, travel influencer Jenny Feng has the ability to captivate you through the tiny grid of her @jennysworldtour Instagram feed. Enchanting and adventure-inducing, it was through her different journeys across the globe that saw Jenny build up her audience of followers.
Having very recently moved to Australia, we decided to track Jenny down to talk everything from giving up her corporate job for life as a full-time influencer to her number one tip when it comes to the wild jungles of Instagram…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Remington S5500 Hair Straightener – I don’t always wear makeup but hair is a must
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Believe it or not, none!
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy
4. Makeup or no makeup? Typically no makeup
5. Favourite fragrance? Chanel No5
6. Favourite item of clothing? Wrap dresses hands down
7. Favourite fashion brand? At the moment – Popcherry (Australian brand)
8. Sneakers or heels? I worked in corporate banking for 5 years and wore heels just about everyday, but outside of that and special events, always sneakers!
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Both
10. Yoga or running? Cardio all the way – need to get a sweat on
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Both
12. Can you cook? Yes but not very well 🙂
13. Favourite food? Too many to choose from! I feel like Burmese food deserves a mention because it doesn’t get enough credit… and anything fried
14. Favourite drink? Good ol’ H2O
15. Best place to eat out? So many favourites from all over the world: Theva Residency in Kandy, Sri Lanka, Ploof in San Francisco, and also a huge fan of street food anywhere in Asia!
16. Happiest moment? When I get to spend time with my grandfather (he lives across the world from me so I rarely get to see him)
17. Saddest moment? Parents splitting up – but I believe it made me stronger as a person
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
19. Blog or YouTube? A bit of blogging but I mostly focus on creating visual content
20. Iphone or camera? Both
21. Type of camera? Just bought a Sony A6000, excited to try it out!
22. Facetune or untouched? Mostly untouched
23. Lightroom or VSCO? Lightroom, and sometimes VSCO
24. Favourite filter? Don’t have one
25. Favourite way to edit pics? Lightroom for sure
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Was a full-time commercial and corporate banker for 5 years, but I’m moving to Australia with my partner for him to go to school so now I’m working on it full-time
27. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I have travelled to almost 20 countries and always loved photography, even before I started Instablogging. I noticed how the Insta community loved photos from my personal travels, and I love connecting with people from all over the world, so I just started doing it more and continued to focus on improving my photography
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? Any time between 5 minutes to an hour
29. What’s your top Instagram tip? Figure out how to add value to the community… and the community will give back
30. Who takes your pics? Most of the time I direct my partner and friends, occasionally professional photographers and myself (for the shots I’m not in)
31. Career highlight since being an influencer? Definitely the opportunity to travel to so many countries including Sri Lanka, Australia, Morocco etc
32. Career lowlight since being an influencer? Lack of sleep during my travels, but I really don’t mind that much because I love what I do!
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Either Daniel Wellington or Eden Villas in Sri Lanka, they gave me total creative freedom and were great partners to get to know and work with
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Definitely the experiences at luxury hotels/villas such as Selman Marrakech – they have horses on the resort, which I love!
35. Last thing you googled? “Menu at Reds Diner” – My dad is in town from Houston so I was trying to decide where to have breakfast with him 🙂
36. Favourite film? *Nerd alert* “Lord of the Rings”/”Hobbit” – the only movies I have watched more than once
37. Favourite book? “The Next 100 years” – love me some geopolitics (I know… again, super nerdy)
38. Favourite song? Anything by Avicii. He is my favourite. Favourite song at the moment is probably “Spectre – Alan Walker”. House music is my favourite.
39. Favourite band? Don’t have one
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? Why not somewhere that has both?! (i.e. Sydney)
41. Favourite travel destination? Too many favourites for different reasons. City – Dubai / China / Sydney / Paris; Beach – Cuba / Sri Lanka / Philippines; Wildlife – South Africa; History – Morocco / China / Egypt; Adventure – Brazil
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? More clubbing when I was younger, now I like spending quiet time with friends and catching up over a nice dinner more
43. Partner or single? Engaged 🙂
44. Siblings? One child policy, haha
45. What city are you currently living in? Calgary, Canada, but moved to Cairns, Australia!
46. Celebrity crush? Only when I was a teenager, Ashton Kutcher (don’t ask, I don’t know why)
47. Pets? Obsessed with dogs, but never had time for one so I just cuddle up to strangers’ dogs, haha
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? Five of my favourites: @taramilktea, @travel_inhershoes, @taylorcutfilms, @paulnicklen, @poochofnyc
49. Favourite quote you live by? Not sure if this is a quote, but “Always live life with purpose”
50. Top career tip? Be fearless, be humble, and keep pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone
All images: JennysWorldTour