Recipe of the Week: Nourish Naturally’s Avocado Zoodles
With a body to die for and an Instagram feed that has us hungry for more (literally), this week’s foodie of the week is Rebecca Gawthorne (aka Nourish Naturally). An accredited dietician and nutritionist with a passion for creating a healthier world, one person at a time – Rebecca is doing just that with a huge following waiting on her every post.
With over 145K followers on Instagram and a personal blog revealing her recipes and fitness tips, Rebecca has established herself as a digital guru for health and wellbeing – teaching us how to instil positive health measures into our everyday lives. Starting with eating right.
According to Rebecca, the key to maintaining a healthier lifestyle is by eating real, wholesome foods, and nourishing your body from the inside out. Making life a little easier for you, we tracked down Rebecca and got our hands on one of her favourite recipes – Avocado Zoodles.
And if you’re wondering what on earth zoodles are, we were too… Rebecca explains: “Zoodles, aka Zucchini Noodles, are my latest obsession! It’s the healthy way to enjoy pasta without the heavy, bloated feeling many of us get after eating a big bowl of white, refined pasta. Zoodles are packed full of vitamins, minerals and fibre, and this recipe has a delicious “creamy” sauce made using avocado instead of cream and butter. Winning! Oh and it’s vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free!”
- 6 zucchinis
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast (Rebecca got hers from The Source Bulk Foods)
- Wash zucchinis and remove ends
- Using a Spiralizer (see the little green gadget in the pic… you can get one from most supermarkets or online), spiralize all the zucchinis and then cook on a non-stick fry pan (can use a dash of rice bran oil if needed) until softened
- Peel and mash avocado and place into a small bowl. Mix in olive oil, nutritional yeast and fresh chopped basil leaves
- Mince garlic and cook on pan. Add into avocado mix with lemon juice and mix until smooth
- Stir creamy avocado sauce through cooked zucchini spirals and enjoy!
**For an extra health boost, add some more veggies through your zoodles. I love adding pumpkin, onion, tomatoes and mushrooms. Simply cook the veggies and stir through the ready-made zoodles.
All images: @nourish_naturally
Written by Yasemin Genc