She’s the former Big Brother star that everyone loves to have an opinion on – and that’s despite leaving the house five years ago. Yep, seems like Tully Smyth is never going to escape the label of being the BB bad girl. But honestly – I didn’t judge her at the time for what may or may not be going on in her relationship at home, and I certainly don’t now. Instead, I cared more about the entertainment she was delivering to the box (and considering her show departure had more viewers than the AFL Brownlow Medal – it seems I wasn’t the only one lapping up the entertainment).
Fast forward to 2018, and Tully still is very much keeping boxes entertained – but this time it’s delivered in small squares to a 3×3 grid (and just in case I’ve confused you there, yes – I’m talking about the old Instagram). With over 220K followers tuning in to her daily updates of life post-reality television drama, Tully has managed to be one of those people who has successfully pivoted her career from TV notoriety into one of content creation and social media influencing.
Beauty selfies that have us wanting to get out our eyebrow pencils to bikini shots determined to start us on a new path to #bodygoals come Monday (always next Monday…) – Tully continues to have us tuning in to her every post. But as we know with all things Gram-worthy, there’s often a bigger story that’s going on behind the feed. So here’s Tully’s story. From dealing with online trolling to finding love to career sweet spots, below Tully takes on Husskie’s latest Fast 50…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Dry shampoo, hands down – without that bad boy, I would be a greasy, stringy mess
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? 1. Dry shampoo, obviously. 2. Beauty oil. I lather my face in the stuff morning and night. 3. Perfume. I am obsessed with smelling delicious 24/7 so always have some on me. 4. Nail polish. I feel naked if I don’t have a fresh mani/pedi every two weeks. 5. Body butter. Because who doesn’t want to feel baby soft?
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy… mainly because it’s my only option
4. Makeup or no makeup? No makeup, every time
5. Favourite fragrance? At the moment I’m loving ‘Bloom’ by Gucci, however, my signature scent is ‘Mojave Ghost’ by Byredo
6. Favourite item of clothing? My Ena Pelly leather biker jacket. I recently lost one and was absolute devastated so replaced it ASAP
7. Favourite fashion brand? Zimmermann. I love their floaty, feminine fabrics, prints and silhouettes
8. Sneakers or heels? Neither… boots
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Gym! I can’t stand being hot when I’m already flushed from training. Plus, I need other people around me to help motivate me or I’ll just goof around
10. Yoga or running? Neither, reformer pilates
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? TREATING YO’SELF!
12. Can you cook? Absolutely not. UberEats and I are great friends
13. Favourite food? I eat almost anything. If I had to pick a cuisine, it would probably be Japanese
14. Favourite drink? Champagne, darling!
15. Best place to eat out? Oh, there are so many here in Melbourne! Lately I’ve been loving Neptune on High St, and one of my faves in Sydney (my hometown) is Nomad in Surry Hills
16. Happiest moment? I was pretty happy and proud to have my Dad see me graduate university. But I would say most of my happiest moments have been shared with people I’ve loved or been dating at the time. I’m at my happiest when I’m in love
17. Saddest moment? Probably watching my Dad deal with my Mum’s early onset Alzheimer’s. That was and continues to be gut-wrenching
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
19. Blog or YouTube? Blog (www.youngbloodrunswild.com)
20. Iphone or camera? Iphone
21. Type of camera? I’ve always used Canon, but prefer my iPhone
22. Facetune or untouched? Facetune! If you say otherwise, you’re lying
23. Lightroom or VSCO? VSCO all the way
24. Favourite filter? VSCO A5 but at like 50%
25. Favourite way to edit pics? My photos tend to be light and bright – I’m not afraid of colour
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Part-time influencer, part-time writer/freelancer
27. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? Almost 5 years ago now I went on Big Brother Australia and came out of the house to a huge following on social media. I think we were kind of the pioneers in terms of reality TV people leaving a show but continuing to connect with fans via Instagram etc. There was no such thing as an “influencer” back in 2013… nobody really knew what they were doing just yet
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? I use about 3 or 4 apps usually, but I’ve gotten so quick at it that it doesn’t take me very long at all!
29. What’s your top Instagram tip? I like to keep it real. My feed is 99% shot/edited/uploaded in real time. What you’re seeing on my feed is usually what I got up to that day. I make light of everything… I realise how lucky I am to do what I do
30. Who takes your pics? Me! Even the shots where you assume otherwise… trust me… my phone was probably propped up on two books and resting in between the prongs of my hairbrush
31. Career highlight since being an influencer? Anytime I get to travel to new places and call it work, I feel incredibly lucky. That’s the dream right? Top 3 trips that stand out are my trip to the UK with STA Travel, my trip to the Cook Islands with Pedestrian.tv, and my most recent trip to the US with Contiki. So many amazing memories and new friends came out of those trips
32. Career lowlight since being an influencer? The judgement and online trolling can get overwhelming at times… especially back in the beginning. Not being able to share my thoughts and feelings without it turning into some twisted, untrue Daily Mail article is also very disheartening
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Oh my goodness, there are so many! Going to Coachella with Revolve was amazing. Working with brands like General Pants Co. and Live Nation are the stuff of dreams. And obviously, whenever you’re made the face or ambassador of something (OVI Hydration, Bertie Cider, Holden) that’s pretty insane…
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? I think having your flights and accommodation paid for has got to be up there, right? Getting to take a friend along who wouldn’t normally get to do that kind of thing… that’s the sweet spot for me. I also have had numerous brand new cars on loan for months at a time, which was amazing
35. Last thing you googled? Haha, I googled ‘Mojave Ghost’ just to make sure I spelt ‘Mojave’ correctly! I had…
36. Favourite film? ‘Virgin Suicides’
37. Favourite book? That changes all the time. I do find myself recommending ‘Modern Romance’ by Aziz Ansari quite a lot though
38. Favourite song? ‘Fuck Em, Only We Know’ by Banks. I have lyrics tattooed on my rib cage
39. Favourite band? Band or singer? That’s tough. I’ve always had a lot of love for Bloc Party
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? CITY! My god, I am a city slicker. The beach is lovely for a break, but the silence would drive me mental
41. Favourite travel destination? I love LA. Every time I get a spare minute I find myself back there
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Can I pick boozy dinner with friends instead? Little from column A, little from column B? [Why yes, yes you can]
43. Partner or single? Single. I’ve recently stopped looking. I haven’t given up, I just think the right person will make themselves known when the time is right
44. Siblings? 2 younger brothers, Scott and Tom
45. What city are you currently living in? Melbourne, Australia aka the most liveable city in the world
46. Celebrity crush? Again, these change all the time. I’m currently crushing over Adam Demos who plays August in the latest season of ‘UnReal’. I have a soft spot for a guy with a man bun
47. Pets? I share custody of a Pomeranian pup called Luna Wildfang
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @seewantshop: my dear friend and (in my opinion) one of the most talented content creators on Instagram, @the_real_dads_of_melbourne: their little family (especially Reid) honestly brighten my day, @jooleeloren: her prints and illustrations are hilarious and relatable – she is my spirit animal, @elle_ferguson: is there anything she can’t do? Honestly?, and @broadsheet_melb: I like being kept up to date on all the new bars and restaurants popping up in my beautiful city
49. Favourite quote you live by? “Love rewards the brave”
50. Top career tip? I think it’s true when they say: “Do what you love, then you’ll never work a day in your life.” I left a job in advertising to pursue something I was more passionate about, and whilst it’s not been a smooth ride, I am irrevocably happier for it.
All images: Tee Smyth