In a world where influencers are dominating the social sphere, turning vast numbers of online followers into the next generation of consumers, we have seen the traditional landscape for advertising and buying being turned on its head in the face of online platforms such as Instagram and YouTube. Delving into their passions and creating content which is loved and listened to, social innovators have shaped an entirely new industry and economy.
In recognition of this new entrepreneurial venture, Forbes have honoured the power of the influencer in its release of its inaugural list of Top Influencers. Naming the best of the best in the ever-growing categories of Beauty, Fitness, and Home, the publication gives an insight into 30 social media stars who have grown their empires around the formation of digital relationships and information shared with communities and individuals online.
Below, we take a look at the top 10 influencer across each three categories.
When you’re wondering how to perfect the latest beauty trend, quite often you will find yourself searching the depths of YouTube or scrolling through a hashtag on Instagram. With a total reach of over 123 million across the top 10, taking out the #1 spot in the Beauty category is Zoe Sugg, better known as Zoella. Starting from humble beginnings, showcasing her latest beauty purchases from her bedroom in 2009, UK-born Zoella now has over 11.6 million subscribers on YouTube, and has since released her own line of best-selling beauty products, as well as three books. But Zoella’s not the only one dominating the online beauty game…
Top 10 Beauty
- Zoella – UK
- Michelle Phan – US
- Huda Kattan (‘HudaBeauty’) – UAE
- Nikkie de Jager (‘NikkieTutorials’) – Netherlands
- Shannon Harris (‘Shaaanxo’) – NZ
- Jeffree Star – US
- Kandee Johnson – US
- Manny Gutierrez (‘Mannymua733’) – US
- Christen Dominique – US
- Wayne Goss (‘gossmakeupartist’) – UK
Taking out the number one spot in the fitness category is Australia’s very own Kayla Itsines. Claiming the title of workout queen at just 25, Kayla’s accolades include launching her app “Sweat With Kayla” and maintaining a following of over 6.6 million on Instagram.
Top 10 Fitness
- Kayla Itsines – Australia
- Jennifer Selter (‘JenSelter’) – US
- Emily Skye (‘EmilySkyeFit’) – Australia
- Michelle Lewin (‘Michelle_Lewin’) – US
- Joe Wicks (‘thebodycoach’) – UK
- Cassey Ho (‘blogilates’) – US
- Simeon Panda – UK
- Lyzabeth Lopez – Canada
- Natalie Jill (‘NatalieJillFit’) – US
- Rachel Brathen (‘yoga_girl’) – Aruba
From interior designer, to passionate DIY’er, the Home category has developed as an influential category with a reach of over 6.5 million across the top 10 online platforms. Grace Bonney, the Home category’s number one influencer, started in 2004 blogging her DIY activities and interior design under the name Design*Sponge. Reaching millions of readers per month and over 860k on Instagram, Grace has built her design portfolio around the online creative community that supports her.
Top 10 Home
- Grace Bonney – US
- Elsie Larson – US
- Kate Albrecht – US
- Paloma Contreras (‘ladolcevitablog’) – US
- Will Taylor (‘brightbazaar’) – US
- Bri Emery (‘designlovefest’) – US
- Emily Henderson (‘Em_Henderson’) – US
- Jennifer Hadfield – US
- Reichel Broussard (‘copycatchic’) – US
- Coco Cozy – US