Tracy Komlos has had one of those careers most would dream of. After joining the influencer space early on as a content creator for brands – capturing their products in destinations all across the globe – followers soon started taking an interest in the girl behind the lens.
And as her own following grew, so did the questions on how she was able to afford to travel so much while still running a business. So like many a good little #girlboss, Tracy began forming an idea in her head… Why not create a series of retreats that help entrepreneurial women discover the tools and skills needed to develop a successful online business? And with that, she started putting into place plans to launch Pangea Dreams.
Three years on and with the Pangea Dreams Cambodia retreat kicking off today, we thought now was the perfect time to chat to Tracy about what life really looks like for this travel influencer…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Mascara!!!
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Mascara, face cream, highlighter, rose petal face toner and blush
3. Hair “done” or messy? Messy
4. Makeup or no makeup? Light makeup (usually just some mascara and bronzer)
5. Favourite fragrance? Amber essential oil roll-on by Nemat International
6. Favourite item of clothing? My vintage Levi jean shorts
7. Favourite fashion brand? Can’t pick just one
8. Sneakers or heels? Sneakers!
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Outdoor exercise
10. Yoga or running? Yoga
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Healthy eating
12. Can you cook? Yes… I love cooking
13. Favourite food? Thai or Italian food
14. Favourite drink? Water 😉
15. Best place to eat out? Any restaurant in Bali
16. Happiest moment? When I am sun-kissed at the beach with my toes in the sand, listening to the sound of the waves crashing at the shore and the palm trees swaying in the breeze
17. Saddest moment? No sad moments 😉
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram
19. Blog or YouTube? YouTube
20. Iphone or camera? Camera
21. Type of camera? Canon 6D
22. Facetune or untouched? Untouched – I like to keep it natural
23. Lightroom or VSCO? Lightroom all the way!!
24. Favourite filter? I create my own Lightroom presets so that all my photos have a consistent tone
25. Favourite way to edit pics? Lightroom
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Influencer / business owner / founder at Pangea Dreams
27. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I was constantly traveling and photography had always been a passion of mine, so I had accumulated hundreds of beautiful travel photos over the time before Instagram had even existed. When Instagram launched, I didn’t know what it would become today. I used it as an outlet to share my favorite travel photos from my previous trips. Then I realised that Instagram wasn’t just that, and all of a sudden people I didn’t even know started following me and it organically grew from there. It was really exciting and the growth was unexpected as I wasn’t on Instagram to gain followers. I definitely became someone people look to for fun, beachy travel photos as well as travel advice
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? 20-40 minutes – I typically scout a location, choose what I am going to wear, and then set up the shot
29. What’s your top Instagram tip? Be consistent and authentic
30. Who takes your pics? Either professional photographers, my boyfriend (who I have trained very well hehe), or other Instagram influencers that I am traveling with
31. Career highlight since being an influencer? Launching my own business through Instagram. I’m the founder of Pangea Dreams and this is our second year running. We run retreats around the world that empower women through education by teaching them how to be successful entrepreneurs while using social media as a business tool. Our retreats are heavily focused on our workshop and the women who attend are between 23 to 40 years old. Daily workshops are taught by industry leaders like photographers and influencers that have made full-time careers out of social media – yoga instructors, wellness gurus and videographers. It’s all about empowering women and building a very connected community around the world. Being an entrepreneur can be really lonely, so we offer that support of a community
32. Career lowlight since being an influencer? Not having a full-time home base because I am traveling so much is difficult at times
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Launching Hawaiian Tropic clothing
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Trips to beautiful locations around the world!!
35. Last thing you googled? “Things to do in Siem Reap, Cambodia” as I will be traveling there in 2 weeks for 2 Pangea Dreams retreats
36. Favourite film? Too many to think of – but the first that came to mind was “Finding Nemo” hehe 😉
37. Favourite book? Currently reading “The Power of Now” and “The Untethered Soul” – highly recommend both
38. Favourite song? At the moment my fave song is “Feel it Still” by Portugal. The Man
39. Favourite band? Don’t have one fave
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? Would love to live by the beach one day but currently living in a busy city
41. Favourite travel destination? At the moment Bali and Tulum would be my top picks
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner with friends
43. Partner or single? Partner
44. Siblings? 1 sister
45. What city are you currently living in? Toronto
46. Celebrity crush? Don’t have one, I am not much of a fan girl
47. Pets? My pup, Charlie!!
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @Tracy_Komlos (duh 😉 ) @PangeaDreams, @saltyluxe, @bastihansen and @heyitsrenny
49. Favourite quote you live by? All of the Dalai Lamas quotes, but this one specifically… When asked what surprises him the most in a recent interview, he responded: “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived”
50. Top career tip? Don’t look at what others are doing – focus on you, your product and making it the best it can be. “Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners”.
All images: Tracy Komlos