50 Questions with fashion blogger Rebecca Laurey
In a career that has seen her grace the pages of Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Vanity Fair and The New York Times, collaborate with brands including Hermés, Armani, and Chloe, and work as a successful digital influencer for the past 5+ years, Rebecca Laurey is living out many people’s dream job. But that’s exactly it – it’s a job. And a job she does damn well.
To find out a little more about her life as a digital entrepreneur, we tracked Rebecca down in her current home of New York City to take part in our latest Fast 50. Here, she talks starting out, going full-time, and the realities of an online career.
1. Age? 31
2. Height? 1.81M/5”11
3. Best beauty product of all time? Mascara
4. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Charlotte Tilbury magic cream, Dior SHOW mascara, Tom Ford bronzer/highlighter, Tom Ford stick foundation, and eyebrow pencil
5. Hair “done” or messy? Messy always
6. Favourite fragrance? Either Chloe Eau de Parfum or Chloe Nomade Eau de Parfum
7. Favourite item of clothing? Currently: oversized blazers
8. Favourite fashion brand? Tibi for basics, Chloe for accessories
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Neither, I don’t like working out at all and rarely do so 🙂
10. Healthy eating or treating yourself? Both! I strongly believe in balance and not being too hard on yourself
11. Can you cook? Yes, I cook frequently when we’re at home
12. Favourite food to indulge in? French fries!
13. First thing you pick from the mini-bar? Probably a cold water
14. Favourite hobby? Cooking
15. A strange fact about you that followers might not know? N/a
16. Biggest fear? Losing someone I love
17. Blog or YouTube? Blog, I feel so awkward doing video still
18. Iphone or camera? Camera
19. Type of camera? I have a Canon 5D Mark III, but would love to update to a newer version with wifi and touchscreen
20. Lightroom or VSCO? Both, plus Photoshop. It depends on the photo really, but if it’s a paid job – I love to put the extra effort in and usually use both to get the right effects. But a lot of times I just use VSCO
21. Favourite filter? My favourites are KP2, KP3, A6 & A5
22. Favourite way to edit pics? As natural as possible. I don’t like heavy contrasts or desaturation. It should be real, but perhaps slightly enhanced
23. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time influencer, but I’ve also started doing some consultancy and I’m starting a creative agency this year
24. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I was working in fashion as an event marketing executive, a job that I loved but didn’t fulfil me enough creatively. I started my blog on the side years ago to just have that as a creative outlet. One thing led to the other and now I’ve been doing it full-time for 5+ years
25. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? It really depends! Sometimes we can shoot up to a 1000 times and sometimes it takes 3 clicks. Any normal photo usually doesn’t take more than a few minutes to take and edit
26. What’s your top Instagram tip? Just be you and do/produce something you believe in instead of going for just “what works” or “what others are doing”. There’s already one of every other person out there, just stay true to yourself because you’re awesome
27. Who takes your pics? My husband usually. I’m very lucky to travel with him most of the time. Also, he knows exactly how I like them so it’s usually really fast!
28. Career highlight since being an influencer? So hard to pick! I absolutely LOVE the amount of travel that comes with my job so much of the highlights have something to do with that. Right at the top are definitely a trip I did with Chloe last year, when we took a helicopter back from Palm Springs to LA at sunset, arriving back into the city flying between the skyscrapers. So surreal! Another highlight was attending the Monaco Formula 1 race with Johnny Walker. I was never a F1 fan, but quickly became one after this experience
29. Career lowlight since being an influencer? The anxiety and stress that comes with always “being on” and living your life online so much. There’s a lot of pressure that comes with what we do, and the insecure nature of my job sometimes gets to me. I think in general it’s unhealthy to spend a lot of your time on social media instead of the real world, the amount of likes and followers don’t define you as a person. It’s hard not to take things too personal, but most of the time I really enjoy what I’m doing – I believe in living in the moment even more now than I did before
30. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Chloe again, I must say. One of my favourite clients and such an incredible brand to work with and “family” to be a part of
31. Worst thing that’s happened to you on a photo shoot? I think that usually has to do with other people making me very uncomfortable. I’ve been harassed on the streets taking photos, sometimes there’s a lack of respect from others. I mean, yes I’m on the street taking photos for everyone to see, but at the same time I’m doing my thing – you do yours. Just let each other be!
32. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? A Delvaux bag. I have a couple, such an incredible brand to work with!
33. Last thing you googled? How to watch Game of Thrones in The Netherlands. I can’t see all of my favourite shows when I’m visiting my parents so had to figure out how to keep up while being away. The important stuff 🙂
34. Favourite film? ‘The Holiday’. Corny but true, I watch it every year around Christmas time
35. Favourite book? I don’t have just one, but currently reading ‘Becoming’ by Michelle Obama
36. Living in the city or living by the beach? I’ve always been a city girl but dream of living by the beach one day
37. Favourite travel destination? South Africa
38. Most Instagram-worthy spot? Paris
39. Top three essentials to pack when traveling? iPhone, sunscreen and my noise cancelling headphones
40. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner with friends
41. Partner or single? I’m married!
42. Siblings? Yes, loads. I have 5 younger sisters and 2 younger brothers
43. What city are you currently living in? New York City
44. Celebrity/influencer crush? Jon Snow
45. Pets? No
46. What is your best asset? I’m very loyal
47. Biggest misconception about you and your job? That it’s not really a job and basically just means me taking pics all day
48. Top Instagram accounts to follow? @ralphfelixdj @taylorlashae
49. Favourite quote you live by? “Not all those who wander are lost”
50. Top career tip? Do what you love and love what you do.