50 Questions with lifestyle influencer Sky Naite
“Lots and lots of long hours, days and weekends have been put in to get to where I am. Nothing comes easy, every campaign, collaboration requires planning, multiple shoots, editing, launching, follow-ups etc. Having a blog is just like having a brand – it’s just as stressful and rewarding.”
Sky Naite wrote the above in May 2017 as she made the decision to leave her job to become a full-time blogger and influencer. A decision that brought with it many tears as she wrestled with whether or not she was making the right choice to leave a job she loved. It seems she did – with Sky now reaching a massive audience of 211K IG followers and a 1.7M+ views to her blog.
Born and raised in Lithuania and currently living in Los Angeles, we tracked Sky down to join us at Husskie for our latest Fast 50 to talk everything from campaigns with Michael Kors to saying “yes” to new things…
1. Best beauty product of all time? Hydra gel eye patches by ELEMIS – they’re always in my travel + makeup bag!
2. Five beauty products you can’t live without? Hydra gel eye patches are on top of my list followed by collagen marine oil (also by ELEMIS), coconut body oil by Kopari, egg cream mask by Too Cool For School and cleansing oil by JuleP
3. Hair “done” or messy? I’d say it’s always in between the both of “messy” and “done” as my go-to look is messy beach waves
4. Makeup or no makeup? Ahhh.. no makeup 95% of the time! Thank goodness for all those pretty filters IG offers – they’re life savers
5. Favourite fragrance? I actually don’t have one. Scent is very personal to me and my mood depends on the choice I make when it comes to fragrance. I have two different boxes of scents by Le Labo that literally have a scent for any mood you might have – so until I figure out a scent I absolutely love, I am sticking to mini oils by them! Haha
6. Favourite item of clothing? I’d say a good pair of denim shorts! I love a good casual look
7. Favourite fashion brand? Pretty much anything and everything from Revolve, they’ve curated soo many amazing brands in one place that could literally create a dream closet. When it comes to choosing one brand only, I really can’t think of one.
8. Sneakers or heels? Sneakers alllll the way!
9. Gym or exercising outdoors? Exercising outdoors
10. Yoga or running? Hot sculpt yoga
11. Healthy eating or treating yourself? A good balance between both is the key!
12. Can you cook? Nope, that’s why I am so thankful for my husband!
13. Favourite food? Poke bowl. I know it’s soooo LA, haha
14. Favourite drink? Iced coffee before 5PM + spritzer after 5PM
15. Best place to eat out? I don’t eat out much as my husband cooks quite a lot, however, my go-to brunch spot in LA is Butcher, The Baker and the Cappuccino Maker
16. Happiest moment? The day I met my husband – love at first sight… something I couldn’t believe until it actually happened
17. Saddest moment? I am a believer that every moment is a happy moment because even if it is something negative, there is always a positive in that!
18. Instagram or Snapchat? Instagram, however, I do have a secret account just so I can use the filters that Snapchat offers
19. Blog or YouTube? What’s a blogger without a blog?! I’d say blog 100% even though I am trying to do more videos as well
20. Iphone or camera? 50/50
21. Type of camera? Ahh, you’d have to ask my photographer that literally shoots me with 5 different lenses…
22. Facetune or untouched? Untouched!
23. Lightroom or VSCO? Lightroom
24. Favourite filter? N/a
25. Favourite way to edit pics? I’ve finally found a Lightroom preset that works for the content I create and I am glad it only takes one click to apply it as I’ve spent years of trying to figure out a way to keep it consistent
26. 9-5 job or full-time influencer? Full-time blogger
27. How did you first get your start in Instablogging? I felt like people on Facebook were getting tired of seeing the amount of content I was posting and I felt like I needed to create additional social media outlets to spread out all the different content and ideas I had. That’s when I created a blog and [joined] Instagram
28. How much time goes into a normal picture found on your Instagram account? I’d say 30 mins, including coming up with the idea + shooting + editing + posting
29. What’s your top Instagram tip? Don’t ever compare yourself to anyone else – find what works for you and keep doing it, otherwise you’ll get lost and distracted
30. Who takes your pics? A photographer I’ve known since 17!
31. Career highlight since being an influencer? The day I decided that I need to step it up and pursue it as a full-time blogger and say goodbye to my 9-5 job
32. Career lowlight since being an influencer? Before quitting my day job, I literally cried on and off for weeks trying to figure out whether it was going to be a good decision or not as I absolutely loved my day job as a content creator for them. I didn’t know whether to let the blog or the day job go…
33. Best campaign you’ve ever worked on? Michael Kors
34. The best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Michael Kors bag!
35. Last thing you googled? ‘Flight time to Bora Bora’
36. Favourite film? ‘Savages’
37. Favourite book? I’ve never been into books, I’d rather watch a movie that’s based on a book or a true story
38. Favourite song? I don’t have one, I also don’t have a playlist. When I work, I like it to be quiet all around me – when in the car, it’s all about whatever is on the radio!
39. Favourite band? N/a
40. Living in the city or living by the beach? 10 mins away from the beach!
41. Favourite travel destination? Anywhere that’s 20+ flight time. I feel like all the best places I’ve ever been to were across the globe (literally)
42. Going out clubbing or quiet dinner with friends? Quiet dinner
43. Partner or single? Married
44. Siblings? None
45. What city are you currently living in? Los Angeles, CA
46. Celebrity crush? Ryan Reynolds
47. Pets? Siamese/Russian cat
48. Top five Instagram accounts to follow? @debiflue, @gabscanu, @mattjkomo, @sincerelyjules and @keeevsch
49. Favourite quote you live by? “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet” – this quote motivates me to travel and always experience new things!
50. Top career tip? Say YES to new things! It’s better to experience something new and say yes to new things than live with regrets
All images: Sky Naite